Friday, July 3, 2026

WHIRL2026 Day - 12

Not sure what time it was that my grandson James woke up. I could hear his footsteps padding about upstairs. It was earlier than I would have chosen to wake up but I knew I wouldn't be getting a lie in, sleeping on the couch and with the family needing to get ready for school/nursery/work.

There were some little taps on the door, almost inaudible at first, gradually getting louder with each repeat until he heard my response. In he bounded, climbing on me, then wrapping himself in the blacket. Then he was up and wanted to play a game where I had to copy him. One young boy and one old boy, 60 years apart, running in circles around the living room at early o'clock! 🤣 

Gradually the rest of the house came alive and soon it was time to say goodbye, as they left the house. James happy to have a cuddle, Ivy, with a firm NO, when asked if she wanted to give Poppa a kiss and cuddle. She picks and chooses her moments. "I'll wave from the car", she did. I'm glad I was able to stop over on the return trip, as I love those kids dearly.

I was probably on the road around 9:30, with a fuel stop at Asda. I was on the M4 at 9:53. I planned to ride straight through to home, about 197 miles, unless I needed a comfort break. No break was needed, so Ginny just cruised along at 70mph for mile after mile, never missing a beat, as usual. Off the motorway, near Bracknell, I had a little fun at some sets of traffic lights, giving Ginny a handful of throttle. I swear the second time the front wheel was skimming the ground. Not sure what I would have done if Ginny had started to wheelie but for an onlooker, no doubt around 500kg of bike and rider with the front wheel off the ground would have been something to behold. 

I hit the usual traffic at the M3/M25 junction but the M25 wasn't moving too badly. Within another hour, I was on home turf, glad to be home but a little sad that another trip was over. I arrived home at 13:00.

Catherine had been tracking me and as I reversed onto the drive, she appeared at the back gate. She helped me unload the bike and I tucked Ginny up in the garage. She performed faultlessly again, Ginny that is. 😉 K1600, what a brilliant bike.

So, that's a wrap folks. Another Wild Hogs trip comes to an end. Where next? Grizzly and I did have a brief discussion but he has issues with his eyes at the moment, so can't commit to anything long term yet, until his treatment is completed. I floated the idea of a French tour. So many times we have ridden through France en-route to/from somewhere else but it's a huge country and there must be plenty of things of interest that we haven't yet seen. We shall see (no pun intended).

As usual, I shall throw out some tour stats but that's all for now.

Thanks for joining us on the journey once again.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment