Hand shakes and hugs with Grizzly and on the road by 7:40. Arrived at Rosslare just before 8:00. There was a long queue but that turned out to be for the Brittany Ferries sailing, so those of us sailing Irish were waved by. We didn't have long to wait to board, me and a couple of other bikes loaded first.
With Ginny tied down I made my way to a lounge with reclining seats. Time to catch up on some lost sleep.
Ferry was scheduled to leave at 8:45, it got under way 9:05. It lost some more time on the journey, so I didn't disembark until 13:20.
My first stop was at Tesco, just a mile from the port. I decided to get myself a meal deal and some cookies for my lunch. Then it was on to my next stop, a visit to the Museum of Land Speed at Pendine Sands. My only other visit to Pendine was when Grizzly and I did our 3 Nations Tour. At that time, they were rebuilding the museum, so we couldn't go in it.
The museum is only small but packed with information and some interesting exhibits, the feature being BABS, JG Parry-Thomas's land speed record holder of 1926. Sadly, Parry-Thomas was killed trying to regain the record, from Sir Malcolm Campbell in 1927. BABS was buried in the sands and lay there for the next 60 odd years, when she was resurrected, rebuilt and run again to commemorate the record centenary in April 2026. If you like speed on 2 or 4 wheels, then this is a must visit when in the area.
![]() |
| BABS, clearly |
The sands themselves are immensely impressive too.
![]() |
| Miles and miles of sand! |
Next stop, my daughter's house in Pontypridd. I could have ridden home but after having been up around 6:15am, I wouldn't have been home till around 9pm, so fatigue would almost certainly have been an issue. Not only was it a break in the journey, it was chance to spend some time with my two grandchildren, bouncing on the trampoline with them, the highlight.
I had the option of the inflatable bed on the floor or the couch. I chose the couch, less fuss and I'm so tired I doubt I'll notice. It's quite a comfy couch anyway.
Tomorrow I'll be heading straight home. I'll stop for fuel and then probably do the whole thing in one stint, bladder allowing. I've had a great time away but am looking forward to getting back home and my own bed.



No comments:
Post a Comment